Maintenance Technician is responsible to perform routine repair and maintenance to the building using skills including plastering, painting, tile restoration (Marble), minor electrical knowledge as well as plumbing repairs, and knowledge of electrical systems in the building for the Exhibits, carpentry work for repairs and building of exhibits.
This position is part of the AFSCME Local 397 bargaining unit.
- Ability to perform carpentry repairs and exhibit general knowledge of HVAC, plumbing, electrical systems to make repairs to building.
- Performs minor maintenance to include but not limited to: replacement or repair of fixtures using appropriate hand, power and specialty tools.
- Perform general HVAC maintenance including cleaning of filters, maintenance on motors, switches and timers.
- Assisting exhibits department when instructed by supervisor.
- Operate and maintain tools in the shop, such as routers, table saw, sanders, band saw, drill press and electric and pneumatic hand tools.
- Ensuring that the shop stays safe, clean and tools and materials are kept in the correct place.
- Re-configures, and installs modular office workstations and spaces (e.g., furniture, workspaces, work surfaces, storage bins, filing cabinets).
- Performs minor plumbing maintenance, e.g., leaks in drains and faucets, unclogging drains.
- Other maintenance and repair issues as needed.
- High school diploma or general education degree (GED) and a minimum of two years of related experience and/or trade school training.
- Basic carpentry and mechanical knowledge required.
- Ability to generally recognize and address typical building and grounds maintenance and repair issues.
- Ability to produce and maintain logs and documentation.
- Ability to use tools properly for general maintenance.
- Ability to climb ladders, enter confined space, lift heavy objects, and perform other physically demanding work.
- Able to use hand and power tools safely and skillfully.
- Able to produce and maintain maintenance logs and documentation.
- Ability to work with minimum supervision and with other PTM associates.
- Valid driver’s license required.
- Flexible schedule to accommodate weekend shifts and evening events as needed.
- Team player who brings a collaborative spirit to a team-oriented work environment.
- Pleasant disposition interfacing with the public and communicating with visitors to the Museum.
- Basic computer skills with Microsoft Office Suite and control system software.
- Strong organizational skills; able to manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Ability to embrace and demonstrate the Museum’s Mission, Values, and DEIAB Commitment.
- Must have PA Act 153 clearances (PA criminal history, FBI fingerprints, and PA Child Abuse) completed prior to hire.
- All employees are required to have COVID-19 vaccination, COVID-19 booster, and flu vaccination, as a term and condition of employment.
Physical Requirements & Environment
The physical demands and environment characteristics described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Must be able to reach with hands and arms.
- Must be able to use hands and fingers continuously.
- Requires frequent lifting, carrying, pushing, or pulling up to 50 lbs.
- Is frequently required to stand and walk; will frequently be required to move from one position to another.
- Must be able to work in lift equipment at heights up to 50 feet.
- Ability to perform the physical requirements of the position, including pushing, pulling, reaching, bending, squatting, kneeling and climbing.
- The noise level in the work environment is typically moderate but ongoing, noise level may be overstimulating at times.
- The individual performing this job must be comfortable in an environment where people are coming and going regularly.
- Ability to walk up and down flights of stairs; and stand for periods of time every day.
The statements in this job description are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being executed by the employee assigned to this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of the position or individual. Other duties may be assigned in addition to those described in this document.
Please Touch Museum offers an excellent work environment, benefit, generous time off package and competitive salary. To apply for this opportunity, please fill out our online application. Should you have questions on the application process or require assistance in completing our application, please email email@example.com.
It is the policy of Please Touch Museum to ensure equal employment opportunity without discrimination or harassment on account of a person’s race, color, religion, creed, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, pregnancy, national origin, age, citizenship, marital status, family status, veteran status, genetic information, disability or any other protected group or status.
Equal opportunity shall be applied in all aspects of the employment relationship and personnel actions, including but not limited to, recruiting, hiring, orientation, assignment, employee development, discipline, promotion, demotion, transfer, assignment, separation, pay and compensation, benefits, layoff and recall, granting of and return from leave of absence, training and education, employee facilities, and social programs. Furthermore, all employment decisions, policies, and practices are in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local anti-discrimination laws.