The Garden Intern is an important part of supporting healthy living at PTM and will work within the Exhibits Department to help maintain, improve, and interpret the Please Touch Garden. This opportunity will allow the intern to experience working directly with an urban garden in an interactive children’s museum setting.
Primary responsibilities for the Garden Intern include: general garden maintenance and upkeep; plant management; planting schedules; maintenance of garden exhibits; and working with the Museum Learning team to assist with Garden-related events and programming.
The internship will culminate in a presentation to the Museum Learning and Exhibits teams of a single Garden-related project devised by the intern with the support of the Exhibits and Museum Learning staff.
- Garden Maintenance: Weed, clean, water, and maintain the planted areas and planter boxes in the Please Touch Garden according to schedule.
- Planning: Research gardening, garden science and outdoor play, and work with the Exhibits team to develop management and use plans for the Please Touch Garden.
- Programming: Work with the Museum Learning Department to assist in ongoing, garden-related programming.
- Final Presentation: Work with the Exhibits and Museum Learning teams to develop an informal, experiential education program/exhibit based around the garden which they will present to the PTM staff towards the end of the internship.
- Equipment: Identify material and tool needs and work with Exhibits staff to coordinate purchases to assure that the garden is fully equipped.
- Patio: Coordinate with facilities staff in the maintenance and upkeep of the patio portion of the Garden.
- Trainings: Actively participate in trainings and properly implement new skills.
- Other duties as assigned.
- High school diploma or GED required. All applicants must be currently enrolled as an undergraduate or graduate student or have graduated within the same school year as the Internship Program.
- Must have completed at least sophomore year of college by the end of the semester in which the internship starts.
- Experience maintaining a garden through a full season from planting to harvesting.
- Experience working with children in an educational setting.
- Ability to communicate information effectively.
- Ability to function independently as well as on a team.
- Ability to work outside during summer and carry up to 50 lbs.
- Must be eligible to work in the United States.
- Proof of COVID-19 vaccination, COVID booster, and annual influenza vaccination.
- Must have PA Criminal History, FBI fingerprints, and PA Child Abuse Clearances. All background check clearances must be completed prior to hiring.
Physical Requirements & Environment:
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Is regularly required to use hands to handle and feel.
- Must be able to reach with hands and arms.
- Must be able to use hands and fingers continuously.
- Is frequently required to stand and walk; will frequently be required to move from one position to another.
- Ability to perform the physical requirements of the position, i.e. pushing, pulling, reaching, bending, squatting, kneeling, lifting, climbing.
- Regularly exposed to outdoor weather and temperature extremes.
- The noise level in the work environment is typically moderate but ongoing noise level may be overstimulating at times.
- The individual performing this job must be comfortable in an environment where people are coming and going regularly.
- Ability to walk up and down flights of stairs; and stand for periods of time every day.
- Ability to use/operate the following tools/machinery safely: weed wacker, gardening tools, wheelbarrow, golf cart, and hand and power tools including drills and hammers.
The statements in this job description are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being executed by the employee assigned to this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of the position or individual. Other duties may be assigned in addition to those described.
Please Touch Museum offers an excellent work environment, benefit, generous time off package and competitive salary. To apply for this opportunity, please fill out our online application. Should you have questions on the application process or require assistance in completing our application, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
It is the policy of Please Touch Museum to ensure equal employment opportunity without discrimination or harassment on account of a person’s race, color, religion, creed, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, pregnancy, national origin, age, citizenship, marital status, family status, veteran status, genetic information, disability or any other protected group or status.
Equal opportunity shall be applied in all aspects of the employment relationship and personnel actions, including but not limited to, recruiting, hiring, orientation, assignment, employee development, discipline, promotion, demotion, transfer, assignment, separation, pay and compensation, benefits, layoff and recall, granting of and return from leave of absence, training and education, employee facilities, and social programs. Furthermore, all employment decisions, policies, and practices are in accordance with applicable federal, state, and local anti-discrimination laws.