Take a trip back in time and enjoy the restored architecture and rich history of Memorial Hall. On your tour learn about the works of art that were displayed in the galleries at the Centennial and later, when the massive, domed building housed the earliest collections of the Philadelphia Museum of Art. A highlight is a visit to the museum’s Centennial Exploration exhibit, which features a scale model, built in 1889, depicting the more than 200 buildings erected for the Centennial.
Enjoy our fully restored 1908 Woodside Park Dentzel Carousel, which originally operated at Philadelphia’s Woodside Park. The animal menagerie, includes 40 horses, four cats, two pigs, two goats and four rabbits. It is illuminated by 1,296 light bulbs and is surrounded by an exhibit on the history of the carousel and Woodside Park.
The history of being a child growing up in Philadelphia is also a prominent part of the tours. Visit The Rocket Express, monorail from the famed local John Wanamaker’s department store or revisit the set, costumes and video archive of the children’s TV show Captain Noah and his Magical Ark. During the holidays, see scenes from the Enchanted Colonial Village, which was displayed at Lit Brothers’ department store on Market Street, from 1962 to 1975.
Centennial Grown-Up Tour:
$16.00 per person
- Guided tours are available upon request for adults interested in learning more about the rich history of Memorial Hall
- Visitors without children may take a self-guided tour at any time during regular museum hours
- Approximately 90 minutes
- Maps are available at the admissions desk
- Free on-site bus parking available
- Bus drivers receive free admission
- For reservations and group rates, please contact our Group Sales Associate at (215) 581-3167
Please note: Centennial Tours are for adults only.